John G. O'Connor
Rev. Francis A. Small, S.J., Director of Libraries, poses with Dr. Margaret C. Deignan and two other women in Nyselius Library. One woman is holding a book called Play. This photo may have been taken to highlight the library's educational materials.
Rev. Francis Aloysius Small, S.J. was named Director of Libraries in 1952, when the library occupied two rooms in Xavier Hall. He led the move to the main floor of Canisius Hall in 1957 where the library remained until the Nyselius Library was opened in 1968. It was under the leadership of Father Small that the library began a microform collection, purchased its first electronic typewriter, and developed a procedure for duplicating catalog cards. Father Small remained the Director of Libraries until 1974. The woman on the right is Dr. Margaret C. Deignan, who was Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Allied Professions until 2005. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
John G. O'Connor. "Rev. Francis A. Small, S.J., Director of Libraries and others in Nyselius Library." 1968. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/12.
Fairfield University. Nyselius Library.; Academic libraries--Connecticut--Fairfield.; Small, Francis A.; Academic library directors--Connecticut--Fairfield.; Deignan, Margaret.; Teacher educators--Connecticut--Fairfield.; College teachers--Connecticut--Fairfield.