Nickolas Salata of Alston Studios
This is a photograph of novices praying in the main chapel of the convent of the Sisters de Notre Dame de Namur. This chapel is now the lounge of Dolan Hall, one of the dormitories at Fairfield University. On April 22, 2007, the lounge was rededicated in a mass presided over by Rev. Charles Allen, S.J. and renamed the Sister Julie Billiart Common Room in honor of the sisters and their founder, Saint Julie.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur were a religious order founded in 1804 by Saint Julie Billiart and Marie-Louise-Francoise Blin de Bourdon, Countess of Gezaincourt. Dedicated to providing assistance and education to underprivileged communities, this order lived and worked in what is now Dolan Campus until 1989, when Fairfield University purchased the 13-acre property with a generous gift from Charles and Helen Dolan. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; color; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Nickolas Salata of Alston Studios. "Novices of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in the Main Chapel." 1960. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/136.