This is an architectural photograph taken for the E&F Construction Company and Fletcher Thompson Inc. of the Novitiate or Main Building of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The sisters lived in the convent until 1989, when Fairfield University purchased the property and its associated buildings to create the Dolan Campus. This building was combined with Julie Hall to become the John C. Dolan Hall.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur were a religious order founded by Saint Julie Billiart in 1804 dedicated to providing assistance and education to underprivileged communities. Named in honor of Helen and Charles Dolan, the Dolan Campus has been home to many university offices. Dolan Hall itself has housed the Health Center and Counseling Services, as well as serving as a dormitory.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Construction of the Novitiate for the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur." 1960. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/137.