This is a postcard of the Estate House and Main Building of the convent occupied by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Founded by Saint Julie Billiart in 1804 in Amiens, France, they are a religious order dedicated to providing assistance and education to underprivileged communities. The sisters sold this property to Fairfield University in 1989. It was renamed the Dolan Campus, in honor of benefactors Charles and Helen Dolan, and has been the site of many university offices as well as a dormitory.
On April 22, 2007, the sisters returned to the former convent to participate in a rededication mass presided over by Rev. Charles Allen, S.J. The chapel lounge was blessed and renamed the Sister Julie Billiart Common Room in honor of the sisters and their founder. Image date is approximate.
Postcard; color; 3 1/2 in. X 5 1/2 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Estate House and Main Building of the Sisters de Notre Dame de Namur." 1961. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/138.