Bellarmine Hall, the University's administrative center, houses the offices of the President, admission, advancement and development. Formerly known as Hearthstone Hall because of its many fireplaces and chimneys, this forty-four room mansion was built in 1920 by Walter B. Lashar, owner of the American Chain and Cable Company. Original plans suggest that the Lashars were thinking of extending the back terrace of the house (visible to the right of the building in this photograph) into an Italianate pavilion and swimming pool.
Mr. Walter Lasher and his wife, Mrs. Amelia Lashar made Hearthstone Hall and its 105-acre estate their home until a tax foreclosure forced them to sell the property, which was purchased by the Jesuits to found the Fairfield College Preparatory School in 1942. Hearthstone Hall, renamed Bellarmine Hall in honor of sixteenth century theologian St. Robert Bellarmine, became the first Jesuit faculty residence and remained so until 1981. Image date is approximate.
Yearbook photograph from 1988 Manor, p. 17
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anne Lynch. "Aerial view of Bellarmine Hall." 1988. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/179.