Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is the south entrance to Fairfield College Preparatory School, as seen from Barlow Road. The driveway is unpaved and the entrance is flanked by two pillars. White signs for Fairfield College Preparatory School/Bellarmine Hall are on either side of the entrance.
In 1942, the Jesuits purchased 200 acres of land overlooking Long Island Sound in the town of Fairfield and founded the Fairfield College Preparatory School. The original Jennings mansion became McAuliffe Hall, the first classroom building, and the Lashar mansion became Bellarmine Hall, the first Jesuit residence. The first graduating class in 1943 consisted of eleven young men. The dark stone spheres on top of the pillars were replaced in 1995 by lamps. The signs are no longer there, and the wooden gates have been replaced by metal ones. Sidewalks have been added and the road is now paved. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "Barlow Road, south entrance." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/29.