Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is the inside entrance of Bellarmine Hall. While the exterior was built in the style of an English manor house, the inside rooms were done in other styles including Tudor, Adam, and Chinoserie or Oriental d√©cor. The Tudor style of the last 16th and 17th centuries is shown the Hall's open stairwell and arches. The interiors themselves were built in sections at Haydon Company in Bridgeport and then brought to the house and reassembled.
Bellarmine Hall, formerly known as Hearthstone Hall because of its many fireplaces, was a forty-four room mansion built in 1920 by Walter B. Lashar, owner of the American Chain and Cable Company. During the Depression, the 105-acre Lashar estate became town property through a tax foreclosure and was up for sale. In early 1942, the Jesuits purchased the property for $62,500. The house was renamed in honor of St. Robert Bellarmine, the sixteenth century cardinal and theologian, and became the first Jesuit faculty residence for Fairfield College Preparatory School. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "Bellarmine Hall, interior view from Great Hall to front entrance." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/49.