Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is Bellarmine hall as seen from the north-northwest. There is lawn and shrubbery in front of the house, and five large chimneys are visible, as is the servant‚Äôs wing which is on the left side of the building.
Bellarmine Hall, formerly known as Hearthstone Hall because of its many fireplaces, was a forty-four room mansion built in 1920 by Walter B. Lashar, owner of the American Chain and Cable Company. During the Depression, the 105-acre Lashar estate became town property through a tax foreclosure and was up for sale. In early 1942, the Jesuits purchased the property for $62,500. The house was renamed in honor of St. Robert Bellarmine, the sixteenth century cardinal and theologian, and became the first Jesuit faculty residence for Fairfield College Preparatory School. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "View of Bellarmine Hall from the north-northwest." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/51.