Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is what is called the Great Hall inside Bellarmine. The doors on the far left open into what is now the President's office. The fireplace has stone work above it, and above that are wooden panels with plant and floral motifs. There are two carved wooden portraits of a Renaissance man and woman in each upper corner of the fireplace paneling. The portrait above the fireplace is an official Jesuit photograph of His Excellency Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe of Hartford who was a great benefactor of the college.
Bellarmine Hall, formerly known as Hearthstone Hall because of its many fireplaces, was a forty-four room mansion built in 1920 by Walter B. Lashar, owner of the American Chain and Cable Company. While the exterior of Bellarmine was built in the style of an English manor house, the inside rooms were done in other styles including Tudor, Adam, and Chinoserie or Oriental d√©cor. The interiors themselves were built in sections at Haydon Company in Bridgeport and then brought to the house and reassembled. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "Bellarmine Hall, Great Hall, looking northwest." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/54.