Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is a view of the Great Hall inside Bellarmine Hall. There is a recessed fireplace, and to the left of that a recessed entrance to the dining room. There is a musician‚Äôs gallery above the fireplace. The wooden panels on the left resemble folded linen. The lighting fixtures are still present.
Bellarmine Hall, formerly known as Hearthstone Hall because of its many fireplaces, was a forty-four room mansion built in 1920 by Walter B. Lashar, owner of the American Chain and Cable Company. While the exterior of Bellarmine was built in the style of an English manor house, the inside rooms were done in other styles including Tudor, Adam, and Chinoserie or Oriental d√©cor. The interiors themselves were built in sections at Haydon Company in Bridgeport and then brought to the house and reassembled. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "Bellarmine Hall, Great Hall, looking east-northeast." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/55.