Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is a photograph of the greenhouse or conservatorium that was part of the Jennings Estate. The white stairs in the center of the photo lead to a sunken garden. There is a stone water tower in the background. The tower, stairs, and garden are no longer in existence.
McAuliffe Hall, formerly called the Mailands, was the forty-room French Renaissance style home of Oliver Gould Jennings, a businessman, philanthropist and politician whose family had originally made their fortune in the Standard Oil Company. Jennings demolished an existing mansion on the site and built Mailands in 1905 for his new wife, Mary Dows Brewster Jennings. The area was then still a farming community, and the estate was a getaway for their high society friends as well as a working farm. As World War II began in early December 1941, the Jesuits purchased the 76-acre Jennings estate for $42,089. Renamed McAuliffe Hall in honor of His Excellency Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe of Hartford, the building was adapted to become the first classroom building for the college. The building included classrooms, laboratories, a cafeteria, a library and a chapel. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "Greenhouse at the north of McAuliffe Hall (Mailands)." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/62.