Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is a view of the chapel in McAuliffe Hall, facing east.
McAuliffe Hall, formerly called the Mailands, was the forty-room French Renaissance style home of Oliver Gould Jennings, a businessman, philanthropist and politician whose family had originally made their fortune in the Standard Oil Company. Jennings demolished an existing mansion on the site and built Mailands in 1905 for his new wife, Mary Dows Brewster Jennings. The area was then still a farming community, and the estate was a getaway for their high society friends as well as a working farm. As World War II began in early December 1941, the Jesuits purchased the 76-acre Jennings estate for $42,089. Renamed McAuliffe Hall in honor of His Excellency Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe of Hartford, the building was adapted to become the first classroom building for the college. The building included classrooms, laboratories, a cafeteria, a library and a chapel. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "McAuliffe Hall, Chapel." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/66.