Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
Mass of the Holy Spirit in the McAuliffe student's chapel. The Most Reverend Henry J. O'Brien, Auxiliary Bishop of Hartford (not in this photo) presided over the mass.
McAuliffe Hall, formerly called the Mailands, was the forty-room French Renaissance style home of Oliver Gould Jennings, a businessman, philanthropist and politician. As World War II began in early December 1941, the Jesuits purchased the 76-acre Jennings estate for $42,089 to found Fairfield College Preparatory School. Renamed McAuliffe Hall in honor of His Excellency Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe of Hartford, the building was adapted to become the first classroom building for the college. The building included classrooms, laboratories, a cafeteria, a library and a chapel. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "McAuliffe Hall Chapel, Mass of the Holy Spirit." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/72.