Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.
This is a landscape view taken from the tower of McAuliffe Hall. Here you can see the Black Rock section of Fairfield/Bridgeport, the Post Road, and the Long Island Sound. This photo was taken prior to the construction of both Xavier and Berchman Halls.
McAuliffe Hall, formerly called the Mailands, was the forty-room French Renaissance style home of Oliver Gould Jennings, a businessman, philanthropist and politician. As World War II began in early December 1941, the Jesuits purchased the 76-acre Jennings estate for $42,089 to found Fairfield College Preparatory School. Renamed McAuliffe Hall in honor of His Excellency Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe of Hartford, the building was adapted to become the first classroom building for the college. The building included classrooms, laboratories, a cafeteria, a library and a chapel. Image date is approximate.
Photographic print; black-and-white; 8 x 10 in.
Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections
© Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. This resource may be used for educational or non-commercial purposes. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Rev. Michael J. Ahern, S.J.. "View from McAuliffe Hall tower looking south-southeast." 1942. Image Archive. Fairfield University Archives and Special Collections. https://digitalcommons.fairfield.edu/image-archive/77.